Apple Cider Vinegar, or ACV, has been used for centuries for external and internal benefits.
When processed, ACV is fermented, the sugars turn into alcohol, and you are left with a vinegar which is a similar PH to skin. The acetic, lactic, citric, and other acids in the apple cider vinegar help to dissolve dead skin cells, revealing a shiny, fresh layer and restore the acid balance of your skin.
There are many benefits of ACV when used internally, and Bragg’s website claims a few important benefits of using their vinegar externally, including
- Helps maintain healthy skin
- Helps promote youthful, healthy bodies
- Soothes irritated skin
- Relieves muscle pain from exercise
When purchasing ACV, be sure that the “Mother” exists. This ensures that the best part of the apple has not been destroyed during processing and that it is rich in it’s natural minerals and enzymes.
We have 5 ways to use this natural pantry staple in your weekly skin and hair care regime:
- Fight oily skin and acne with a purifying ACV mask, made of 1 TBLSP green clay to help draw impurities, and 1 TBLSP ACV to balance PH. Apply liberally (avoid eyes), leave on for 15 minutes and rinse.
- Shine up dull skin using ACV to dissolve dead skin cells. Apply vinegar to your skin using a cotton ball dampened with purified water. Repeat weekly.
- Add shine to dull hair that is built up with product. Add 1 TBLSP ACV in a small bowl of water. Pour over hair and comb through. Rinse. This is one of my weekly treatments that leaves my hair so soft and shiny.
- Eliminate odour and fungus from feet! Soak feet in a bowl of warm water with 1/2 cup ACV and Tea Tree Oil (5 drops). Soak for 15 minutes, rinse off and towel dry well.
- Soothe sunburns, sore muscles and rashes by adding 1/2 cup ACV to your bath water. Soak for 15-20 minutes.
Jen Casey is a Holistic Nutritionist with Next Bite Nutrition Coaching in Vancouver, BC. She focuses her practice on whole body wellness and building a solid foundation for the pillars of health. Learn more about Jen and her healthy meal plans on Instagram.